Born in 1915 and a native of St. Louis, Preston M. Green received his Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering from Washington University in 1936. After graduation, Preston Green worked in a local factory until he joined Southwest Steel Supply Co. in 1950 as vice president of purchasing and production. He became president in 1955 and chairman of the board in 1957. During his career at Southwest Steel Supply Co., Preston Green was responsible for adding a second manufacturing plant in Madison, Illinois, and growing his company into the leading processor of steel throughout the Midwest. Preston Green designed most of the equipment used by Southwest Steel Supply Co., and was acknowledged for creating more efficient processing procedures. He was recognized nationally for his leadership and vision within the steel industry, including receiving the Steel Distributor of the Year award in 1986 from the Association of Steel Distributors.
In 1990, Preston Green sold Southwest Steel to Hanwa American, a subsidiary of the Hanwa Corporation of Japan. Preston Green died in 2003, but his legacy continues today through his many contributions, both professional and philanthropic. In 2006, Washington University Chancellor Mark S. Wrighton announced an $8 million commitment from the late Preston Green to support the School of Engineering & Applied Science and the Department of Electrical & Systems Engineering.
More information on Preston M. Green Hall (opening in 2011)